Dedicated in 1915 the 4,200 square foot Carnegie Public Library was designed in the Beaux Arts neoclassical style by the Utah practice of Watkins and Birch, and was constructed of local limestone and brick masonry.
The building survived its first 90 years almost completely intact. The building was not significantly remodeled in the period, and – with the significant exception of the deteriorated native oolitic limestone base – it remained in very good condition through its continuous use as a library. Fortunately, it was also recognized that the National Register Listed library building was of irreplaceable value to the City. The Library Board, Mayor, and City Council made the commitment to restore and expand the library facilities on the existing site. MJSA prepared a phased master plan and full construction documents to realize the practical requirements of the library without sacrificing the historic building or exhausting the financial resources of the community.
The renovation project included complete replacement of all mechanical and electrical systems and provided seismic improvements through significant non-destructive wall reinforcement and replacement of the roof and floor diaphragms. All interior and exterior surfaces were restored or refinished, and some historic detail shown in the original drawings but not realized in the original construction is now included. The building was made accessible to all with a new elevator, restrooms, and site improvements. Most importantly, the planning is in place to allow for a quadrupling of the library floor area on the existing site without further modification of the restored historic envelope. The City has provided for the next century of library service without turning its back on the heritage of the last.